October 7, 2013

Looking Down

A couple of weeks ago, I posted some images from a recent trip to New York City.  The images were a style that I really enjoy shooting and I'm happy with the results that I posted.  After seeing the post, a long time photographer friend of mine posed the question "I wonder what you'd see if you looked down?"  Well, I was back in New York City last week so I decided to take Dale up on the challenge and I looked down.  For any of you that have looked down while walking around NYC, you will know that the thing you see most is gum.  Lots and lots of gum.  So, it turned out that the challenge was tougher than I had anticipated and it took me a bit to get into it.

The first subject that caught my attention was feet.  There are lots of feet in NYC, in fact, I've heard that there are just about twice as many feet as there are people.  Sorry, I couldn't resist.  I took a lot of images of feet, trying to find interesting shoes, colors, and shadows.  Here's a few of my favorites.





I shot this image out of my hotel room window.  I looked out the window one morning before heading out for the day and discovered that the angle of the sun was making for fantastic shadows.  The street was busy so it took a few minutes to get in a shot with a single pedestrian.  It was an added bonus that he happened to be walking his bike.

Continuing the bicycle theme, here's a few favorite images that involve bicycles.



Chairs.  There are a lot of chairs in New York.  There are a lot of places to sit and enjoy the company of friends, or the morning paper.  The thing with the chairs is that they were always being used.  Well, almost always.



The predominant vehicle color in NYC is yellow.  Here's a couple of very different vehicles that share the color yellow. 


A couple more "looking down" images.


This is my favorite of the group.

1 comment:

  1. You know, being all of 5'2", I never think to look down because everything's so much taller than me! I'll try to keep this in mind next time I go shooting.

    Also, I love the juxtaposition of the pavement and cobblestones the last photo :) We're losing too many old streets to "progress" here in New Orleans. Heck, we even have parking lots paved right over century-old building foundations!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you, good or bad!

ShareThis