June 9, 2012

Locomotive Springs

Last winter, my son and I discovered Locomotive Springs, a wildlife management area at the far north end of the Great Salt Lake.  Since then, I've thought that it would be a great place to do some light painting.  Last night, some friends and I headed out there to do just that.  Well, we got out there and the gates were closed. The wind was blowing pretty hard, and the conditions were extremely dry, so we decided that it wouldn't be the best idea to use some of our standard light painting tools.  Without all of our tools, we decided that it wouldn't be worth the hassle to haul in all of our gear.  We made the decision to relocate our painting, more on that later.  Meanwhile, we figured while we were there, we should wander a bit and make a few images.  The setting sun and dramatic skies made for some decent images.










For the last couple of weeks, I have had the opportunity to shoot a Canon 5D Mk III.  This last image is a straight-out-of-camera image created using the on-board HDR feature.  I need to play around with this a little more to get a good feel for it, but it seems to do a pretty decent job.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you, good or bad!

ShareThis