June 12, 2014

Meatloaf

This is something completely different than you are used to seeing around here, but I had to write about it.  Last week, my family and I spent a bit of time in the mountains.  It had been a long time since we had done any dutch oven cooking, and we decided that it was time to give it a shot again.  Several months ago, I saw a recipe for dutch oven meatloaf that caught my eye.  It wasn't necessarily the meatloaf, but the fact that it was wrapped in bacon.  Yup, bacon.  Well, I decided that this needed to be part of our menu for the weekend.  

It's really pretty simple, there's nothing fancy to the meatloaf recipe.  Most anything would do.  Mine had 1lb ground turkey, rolled oats, an egg, salt, pepper, onions, and some garlic.

Start with an empty dutch oven.  We used an 8" oven.


Line the oven with bacon.  Let the ends hang over the sides, they won't stay there long.

Add your meatloaf.

I topped it with some sliced onions.  Next time, I will add sliced onions under the meatloaf as well.

Wrap the ends of the bacon over so that everything is tucked in.

It took about 45 minutes to cook.  More coals on top, less on the bottom.

It was absolutely amazing and didn't last long.

1 comment:

  1. Everything is better with bacon! MMMmmmmmmmmm

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you, good or bad!

ShareThis